Anti-Static Conductive Primer
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: The HJ-144 metallic pigmented primer was specifically developed as a base coat for the HJ-124 urethane. When used in conjunction with the HJ-124 urethane topcoat provides excellent abrasion and chemical resistance, weathering, UV stability and static dissipative properties. The electro-conductive powders used will not wear off and retain their conductive properties regardless of temperature, and perform well at all humidity levels.
RECOMMENDED FOR: Computer rooms, laboratories, aircraft hangers, chemical plants, solvent storage areas & chemical areas with regard to concrete, cement, brick, masonry or metal.
SOLIDS BY WEIGHT:
Mixed= 65% (+, - 2%)
SOLIDS BY VOLUME:
Mixed= 55% (+, - 2%)
VOLATILE ORGANIC CONTENT:
Mixed = 3.63 pounds per gallon
light gray, medium gray, and tile red
REQUIRED FILM THICKNESS:
5-7 mils per coat wet thickness (yields 3 mils dry)
COVAGE P GALLON:
229 to 3 square feet @ 5-7 mils wet thickness
2 gallon and 10 gallon kits (volume approx.)
1 part A to 1 part B by volume
1 year in unopened containers
Taber abrasor CS-17 calibrase wheel with 1000 gram total load and 500 cycles = 23.0 mg loss
Gardner Impact, direct= 50 in. lb. (passed)
No cracks on a 1/8” mandrel
380 psi @ elcometer (concrete failure, no delamination)
Mixed = 500-1500 cps (typical)
40-90 degrees F
CURE SCHEDULE: (70°F)
pot life – 1 gallon volume ……..…..……...……………….... 1-3 hours
tack free (dry to touch)…………...………………………...…1-3 hours
recoat or topcoat.....……….………….…….....…………see limitations
light foot traffic...……………………………...….……..……3-6 hours
full cure (heavy traffic)... ………………..…………..…...…....2-7 days
xylene (with HJ-141 topcoat) D
50% sodium hydroxide D
10% sulfuric D
10% hydrochloric acid C
% nitric acid C
ethylene glycol D
Rating key: A - not recommended, B - 2 hour term splash spill, C - 8 hour term splash spill, D - 72 hour immersion, E - long term immersion.
HJ-144 primer / HJ-141 topcoat (one coat of each only)
ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE: ASTM F150-89
MEASUREMENT LOCATION RESISTANCE (OHMS)
4. (average = 6.63e+5 ohms 5.14e+5
Colors may be affected by high humidity, chemicals, temperatures or exposure to certain types of lighting such as sodium vapor lights.
For best results use a good quality roller.
Slab on grade requires moisture barrier.
Substrate temperature must be 50 F above dew point.
All new concrete must be cured for at least 30 days.
Product color will vary from batch to batch.
Too thick of an application may result in product failure.
Do not topcoat the primer until the electrical resistance is 106 ohms of resistance or lower. In some instances, it will require 24 hours to achieve proper conductivity before topcoating. (test before topcoating).
This product is intended for the professional installer that has experience with this type of coating system.
Physical properties listed on this technical data sheet are typical values and not specifications.
See reverse side for application instructions.
See reverse side for limitations of our liability and warranty.
MIXING AND APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS(HJ-144)
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT FOR A CONDUCTIVE COATING SYSTEM. THIS SYSTEM IS NOT INTENDED FOR AREAS EXPOSED TO EXPLOSIVE MEDIA SUCH AS AMMUNITION PLANTS. THIS MATIAL IS PROVIDED AS A STATIC DISSIPATIVE COATING. REVIEW THE DATA ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THIS TECHNICAL DATA UND ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE FOR TESTING RESULTS. REVIEW YOUR ELECTRICAL RESISTANTCE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE INSTALLING THIS PRODUCT. DO NOT USE WAXES UNLESS THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED AND RECOMMENDED FOR ANTI STATIC APPLICATIONS. ALWAYS APPLY TEST PATCHES OF YOUR SELECTION TO CHECK CONDUCTIVITY PRIOR TO APPLICATION AND TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE PRODUCTS APPLICATION PROCEDURE.
1) PRODUCT STORAGE:Store product in an area so as to bring the material to normal room temperature before using.
2) SURFACE PREPARATION:Surface preparation will vary according to the type of complete system to be applied. For a one or two coat thin build system (3-10 mils dry) we recommend either mechanical scarification or acid etching until a suitable profile is achieved. For a complete system build higher than 10 mils dry, we recommend a fine brush blast (shot blast). All dirt, oil, dust, foreign contaminants and laitance must be removed to assure a trouble free bond to the substrate. A test should be made to determine that the concrete is dry; this can be done by placing a 4'x4' plastic sheet on the substrate and taping down the edges. If after 24 hours, the substrate is still dry below the plastic sheet, then the substrate is dry enough to start coating.
3) PRODUCT MIXING:(HJ-144) Mix one part A to one part B by volume. After the two parts are combined, mix well with slow speed mixing equipment such as a jiffy mixer until the material is thoroughly mixed and streak free. Improper mixing may result in product failure.
4) PRODUCT APPLICATION:This product is intended for the professional applicator with knowledge of this type of product. The mixed material can be applied by brush or roller. Maintain temperatures within the recommended ranges during the application and curing processs. The HJ-144 conductive primer is best earthed with strips of copper about centimeters long, which are anchored in the subfloor and connected to a water pipe or neutral conductor in the electric wiring system. Two earthing points normally suffice for a single room. One earth per 0 square meters of floor space is the general rule for large areas. After the substrate is earthed, Apply the HJ-144 by roller or brush at the recommended (5-7 Mil) thickness. Too thick of an application may result in insufficient conductivity or solvent entrapment and subsequent product failure. Allow sufficient time for the HJ-144 to cure. SEE FRONT SIDE UND LIMITATIONS FOR TESTING PROCEDURES.
5) RECOAT OR TOPCOATING: This product was desiigned to be topcoated with our HJ-141 Anti-Static urethane. When you topcoat this primer, you must first be sure that all of the solvents have evaporated from the coating during the curing process. Always remember that colder temperatures will require more cure time for the primer before recoating or topcoating can commence. Before topcoating, check the coating to insure no epoxy blushes were developed (a whitish, greasy film or deglossing). If a blush is present, it must be removed prior to topcoating. To topcoat with the HJ-141 thoroughly mix part A and part B together for the HJ-124 anti-static topcoat using slow speed mixing equipment. Apply the HJ-124 anti-static topcoat by roller or brush. Be sure to apply the topcoat product at the specified coverage rate or recommended thickness. Too thick of an application may result in product failure. We only recommend one coat of any anti-static topcoat be applied over the conductive primer.. Adequate leakage resistance should be less than 108 ohms measured at 100 to 1000 volts. Typical conductive properties for the HJ-141 system (when applied in conjuction with HJ-144 primer) follows: (HJ-124 = 105 to 107 ohms).
6) CLEANUP: Use xylol
7) FLOOR CLEANING:Caution! Some cleaners may affect the color of the floor installed. Test each cleaner in a small area, utilizing your cleaning technique. If no ill effects are noted, you can continue to clean with the product and process tested.
8) RESTRICTIONS: Restrict the use of the floor to light traffic and non-harsh chemicals until the coating is fully cured (see technical data under full cure). It is best to let the floor remain dry for the full cure cycle.
NOTICE TO BUY: DISCLAIM OF WARRANTIES AND
LIMITATIONS ON OUR LIABILITY
WARNING: Antistatic flooring cannot provide protection against discharges from the power main. If danger of coming in contact with the mains cannot be completely ruled out, the usual safety regulations must be followed to the letter. Although this publication describes how our products may be applied to achieve antistatic flooring and the information given is based on the present state of our knowledge, all recommendations are made without liability on our part since the actual application of our products is not in our hands and special conditions prevailing at a particular job sight might negatively influence a floors antistatic properties. Buyers and users of our products should make their own assessment of the floors antistatic properties immediately after it has been installed and at regular intervals thereafter. We warrant that our product is manufactured to the strict quality assurance specifications and that the information supplied by us is accurate to the best of our knowledge. All other information supplied by us is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Such information supplied about our products is not a representation or a warranty. It is supplied on the condition that you shall make your own tests to determine the suitability of our product for your particular purpose. We shall have no liability for incidental or consequential damages, direct or indirect. Our liability is limited to the net selling price of our product or the replacement of our product, at our option. Acceptance of delivery of our product means that you have accepted the terms of this warranty whether or not purchase orders or other documents state terms that vary from this warranty. No representative is authorized to make any representation or warranty or assume any other liability on our behalf with any sale of our products.